Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Pleasantville.

I'm just done watching one of the most beautifully poetic movies that I've ever watched, the 1998 movie Pleasantville.

"Nothing is as simple as Black and White"

Pleasantville is the story of how two siblings are magically transported to the seemingly utopian world of Pleasantville where things are only pleasant. Basketballs definitely go through the hoops every time you throw them, people are well mannered and awfully nice, dinner is always served sharp at 6:30 p.m. sharp.

There is no fear, danger or insecurity in that world. Everything is pleasant, and it stays that way because everyone has set routines that they follow to the last detail. There are no surprises in Pleasantville. And did I mention that Pleasantville is only in black and white?

When our two siblings cause disruptions to the clockwork routine in Pleasantville, the people they meet slowly start to realize that their perfectly pleasant lives are hollow indeed, and there is no such thing as a perfect life.

Recently I have been pondering, wondering if my life measures up to other people out there. Why is it that some people seem to be able to live spotless lives and seem to the outside world perfectly respectable when I'm here with all my flaws glaring, often for all the world to see?

And this movie came along to open my eyes back wide again. As much as we talk about creating a perfect life, a life which everyone else envies, no one lives a perfect life. We're human - we hurt, we cry, we bleed - for a perfectly good reason.

Just think about it: if we never did experience heart wrenching pain; incapacitating fear and the horde of butterflies all massing in your stomach just before you deliver a speech, we never would really be able to feel and appreciate happiness and bliss when it comes along.

Don't we just take color for granted?

Our imperfections make us who we are, they give color to our lives. And that makes all the difference.

As stupid as some of the things that I have done are, they have really still come to color my life in dazzling hues and shades that I never knew existed.

So I guess the right thing to do would just to accept them, my flaws, my mistakes, my colors, and just live my life the most beautiful way I know. I don't know if any great artist could ever ask for more.

And Pleasantville has beautiful, beautiful music. Yes, it's the Beatles again! (:

Across the Universe - Fiona Apple



Jai guru deva om...
Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world

Stop taking the beauty around you for granted. Life's not perfect, but it certainly is beautiful.

0 comments: